Monday, November 18, 2013

Quick Review of the Grizzly G7943 Bench Top Drill Press

This 14" drill packs some serious power! It comes with a 3/4HP motor, 5/8" capacity chuck, 12 drilling speeds, 3 1/4" of travel, and coming in at a whopping 142 lb. this machine is a real beast.
According to Grizzly's website, this drill can handle 3/4" steel. Being a wood worker, I wouldn't imagine ever needing to drill into steel plate that thick, but with my current project I am literally drilling into 3/4" steel.

Assembly was quite easy, but one needs to remember that this drill weighs 142 lb. A helping hand is required unless you've been hitting the weights. Take a lesson from me and assemble the drill press on the surface where it is intended to stay. Moving this fully assembled drill press is a pain even with someone helping you.

A few of the features that I like are the task light and the chuck guard. Every drill press needs a task light. In a lot of shops the drill press is off in a corner and that space isn't lit very well. The task light allows a woodworker to see a work piece clearly. The chuck guard I think is a super wonderful idea. The guard protects the user from hitting the spinning chuck and keeps the chuck protected while not in use.

Overall I am very proud of this drill. I did a test, drilling into 2" thick white oak with a 3/4" spade bit and it didn't miss a beat! I have to thank my wife for finding the Popular Mechanics review available on their website here: "Our Test for the BEst Drill Press".



2 comments:

  1. This 14" drill packs some serious power! It comes with a 3/4HP motor, 5/8" capacity chuck, 12 drilling speeds, 3 1/4" of travel, and coming in at a whopping 142 lb. this machine is a real beast. James Karim

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s just amazing. I already own several Grizzly G7943 tools. It would be very handy for job. Thank you and have a great day.
    My blog: Power Tools Master

    ReplyDelete